Children and young people
“Thank you for giving me a voice when I didn’t feel I could talk to anyone and helping me to realise that it is so much better to talk rather than keep everything bottled up”
“It helps me to calm down when I can talk and get everything out. It is good to talk about stuff and be listened to”
“You can tell that the staff really care about making a difference, they are nice and friendly”
“It was really fun to play with the toys and to get my worries out”
“I felt free to talk about stuff without being judged”
We offer a number of one to one services for children and young people aged from 4-18 including:
- Art Therapy
- First Response Crisis Support Service – for children and young people aged 11+ who are experiencing domestic abuse at home or within their own relationships
- Flexible drop-in support
- Music Therapy
- Play and Youth Work
- Play Therapy
- Solution Focussed Practice
We deliver this work from our two premises in North Shields, and in schools and other community settings throughout North Tyneside and Northumberland. Don’t worry if you are not sure which service would be of benefit to you/your child – we will discuss this with you when we speak to you.
We offer lots of additional services for children and young people including group programmes, therapeutic groups and free family activities, and up to date information on these can be found on our website.
Some of our services for children and young people may not be available or may be offered remotely, depending on where you live, but we can give you up to date information when we speak to you.
How can I get help from Acorns?
- If you are a parent or carer, you can refer your child to Acorns directly. If you are a teacher, youth worker, social worker or similar, and you have consent from a child's parent or carer, you can refer a child to us.
- If you are 16+, you can access our services directly by filling in a referral form yourself.
- If you are under 16, you will need the support of a parent or carer who can contact Acorns on your behalf. There may be other trusted adults that could help you with this such as a teacher, youth worker or social worker.
- If you are under 16, but feel that you do not have a trusted adult that could help you, please speak to us and we'll do our best to help you.
- If you are 11+ and require more immediate support you can access our First Response Service by calling 0191 3498366 or text to 07712 862858
- If you are in danger right now call 999
Please see the Contact Us section of our website for a referral form.
Unsure whether Acorns is the right thing for you? If you are a young person we can arrange an informal chat with one of our workers so that you can find out more about how we work and ask any questions you may have.
You have the right not to have information about you passed on to anyone outside the project (such as parents, teachers, social workers etc.)
The only time this is different is if you tell Acorns that you or someone else is in danger, or being hurt. If we do need to share information about you or someone else we would always try to discuss this with you first.